- Obama and Executive Order to Close Guantanamo
- Report: 61 Percent of Guantanamo Detainees Return to Battlefield = Propaganda
- CIA Lobbies Heavily For Pardons
- Crush Videos and the First Amendment
Israel in Gaza: “A Time Comes When Silence Is Betrayal” – Michael Ratner’s Recent Post
Two weeks ago the 15 nation Security Council at the United Nations approved (14 in favor) an immediate cease fire in Gaza and full withdrawal of Israeli forces. The US abstained from the vote. Yet Israeli forces continue to use military force against Hamas and Palestinian women and children.
There are other ways to stop Israel says award_winning journalist and author Naomi Klein. In her recent Nation magazine article Boycott, Divest, Sanction, Naomi lays out measures that could economically slow down Israel. When weaker measures have failed such as protests, petitions and lobbying, Naomi writes that the Boycott Divest Sanction strategy is practical on a country so small and trade dependent. The strategy worked to help end apartheid in South Africa, and may have a real possibility to weaken Israel.
- These strategies are based on the effective methods used in anti-apartheid movement.
- Including consumer boycotts and economic sanctions that governments would impose.
- Israel’s lawlessness has intensified, from the attack on Lebanon to the siege on Gaza,
- Despite this, there is the opposite of sanctions with Israel right now.
- For example: Israel was invited as a guest of honor in the Paris book fair.
- Israel signs free trade agreement with Mercosur.
- Israel’s trade with Canada increased by 45 percent last year.
- This has escalated Israel’s lawlessness and its time for a new strategy.
- The two companies that are currently the focus of the BDS strategy – Motorola and Caterpillar
- There’s a very well funded and organized anti-boycott movement/pro-Zionist movement that is spreading disinformation
- They’ve re-framed the academic boycott as a Nazi style boycott of Jews.
- This anti-boycott campaign is more aggressive than the actual boycott campaign.
- It also targets companies to boycott who are boycotting Israel
- End the Israeli Occupation
- Hang Up On Motorola
- Why boycott Caterpillar? – CCR
- Boycotts also target Israeli wine, Israeli fruit, Israel tourism.
- Israel is being singled out not for tougher treatment but for lenient treatment.
- The attack on Gaza was pre-planned since last March.
- What Israel is doing is very similar to what the US is doing in Iraq and Afghanistan; “responding to terrorism.”
- I’m hearing from my friends and colleagues in Israel that they really want sanctions to come from the outside, because they’ve lost hope for any internal pressure.
- There is a one sided boycott going on. It’s been going on for 18 months and its this brutal, illegal, embargo on Gaza imposed by the state of Israel and the United States, and Canada, etc.
- This is depriving Palestinians of food of life saving medicine, of water, of cooking fuel.
- Its just amazing to me that they would call this international legal boycott that would deprive Tel Aviv of some international symphonies as “one sided.”
- Regarding doing interviews and writing recent article: It’s always a difficult calculation of – when do you want to leave yourself open to the onslaught of hate and propaganda. . .?
- Writing this column wasn’t courageous, it was cowardly. I thought about writing this column about five times over the past couple of years. In many ways this is the easiest time to call for a boycott.
Guest – Naomi Klein, author of The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism and the earlier international best seller, No Logo: Taking Aim at the Brand Bullies; and the collection Fences and Windows: Dispatches from the Front Lines of the Globalization Debate.
Adam Shapiro: Israel’s Continued Assault On Gaza
Now into its fourth week, the Israeli assault on the Gaza Strip has been called catastrophically misguided by human rights supporters. Thousands have come out to protest the bombardment of the residents in Gaza, where the Palestinian death toll is nearly one thousand and more than 4000 injured. Add to that a media blackout around the world about the real facts on the ground in Gaza as Israeli forces use advanced weaponry such as white phosphorus ammunition in civilian areas.
- International Solidarity Movement: brings people around the world to come join the Palestinians in solidarity -using non violent resistance to concretely and strategically oppose what Israel is doing in the West Bank, Gaza and Jerusalem.
- ISM has evolved in Jerusalem as eyewitness and reporting.
- Some of you may have seen a youtube video that’s making the rounds of Huwaida standing up to Israeli soldiers
- She is physically standing in front of Israeli soldiers who are pointing to shoot at Palestinian protesters.
- The Israeli Defense Force talking point of “merely defending themselves”, ignores the last forty years of history of direct occupation of the Gaza Strip.
- The blockade has led to the impoverishment of the Palestinians, which has led to some of the worst living conditions anywhere on the Earth.
- 80 percent of Gazans are refugees of Palestine from 1947. Gaza is not their home.
- Israel’s version of history is saying, “this conflict started when Israel started to fire back.”
- Among the rocket fire that was occuring prior to the cease fire, most of them fell into empty areas.
- These Hamas rockets were meant as a political message and not targeting Israeli civilians.
- Israel’s arguement that it is acting in self defense is “pure fabrication.”
- There is no mistake that this war was pre-planned and pre-organized.
- We know that before the Gaza attack, Israeli soldiers trained in mock Gaza urban settings.
- We also know that Israel prepared its people months in advance for going to war.
- If you use overwhelming force you can eventually bend the political party to your will.
- Arab parties are banned from running in the next Israeli election.
- NY Times printed that 80-90 percent of Israelis support the war in Gaza. Ridiculous when more than 20 percent of Israelis are Arab.
Guest – Adam Shapiro, human rights activist and documentary filmmaker. He was the co-founder of the International Solidarity Movement (ISM), in Palestine, a pro-Palestinian organization, the stated mission of which is to bring civilians from around the world to resist nonviolently the Israeli occupation of the Gaza Strip. His latest film is the documentary series, “Chronicles of a Refugee.”